Waterville Baptist Church is currently receiving resumes for a full-time pastor.
Church and community summary:
Waterville Baptist Church exists to glorify God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. God calls Waterville Baptist Church to worship Him and to make disciples by loving, serving, and praying for one another, our community, and the world. As a community church that serves beyond the community, our 73-year history is rich with a love for God and people that is demonstrated through our dedication to ministries within the church and other local and global, Gospel-centered ministries. We are actively affiliated with CrossNet Baptist Network, which is part of the Tennessee Baptist Mission Board. We are a Southern Baptist Church.
Prior to COVID and recent pastoral changes, we have seen greater attendance, but we are rebuilding. Waterville’s current average attendance is 120 on Sunday mornings and 45 on Sunday nights. Waterville is located in southern Bradley County, which has a population of approximately 110,000. Bradley County has many opportunities for both work and recreation. We are a hub of multiple major industries and businesses. We sit in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains. We have a full-service regional medical center, a community college, a university and a theological seminary, plus many more educational opportunities in adjacent counties. Our area boasts quality public and private schools for primary and secondary education, as well. The cost of living is 12.4% below the national average, and housing costs are 23% below the national average. We have 68 civic clubs and organizations, and our county is home to more than 200 churches representing most denominations.
Statement of Faith
We believe the Holy Bible is the inspired Word of God and it is the basis for our statement of faith. As a Southern Baptist Church, we adhere to the tenets set forth in The Baptist Faith and Message 2000. We believe that a church of Christ is a congregation of baptized believers bound together in the faith and fellowship of the Gospel, and that Jesus committed the ministry of His Gospel to His churches. We believe that the ordinances of the church are Baptism and the Lord’s Supper.
- The pastor is responsible for leading the church in functioning as a New Testament church with the understanding that this includes teaching the priesthood of the believer, following the command to make disciples of all nations, and facilitating regular worship on the first day of the week .
- The pastor will be the undershepherd of the church, giving spiritual leadership and guidance.
- The pastor will be a man of prayer, and of the Word, and preach biblical messages for normally scheduled services, or designate appropriate coverage during times away and for special events in cooperation with the deacons.
- The pastor is the leader of worship, proclamation, education, and pastoral ministry and will support evangelistic and mission activities of the church.
- The pastor will encourage and lead church members, officers, teams and staff in carrying out their respective responsibilities to the church.
- The pastor shall, at his discretion, perform wedding ceremonies, funeral services and other services that he might be called upon to perform.
- The pastor shall set ministry goals for himself and the staff he supervises, being accountable to the church through the personnel committee.
- The pastor will perform necessary administrative duties.
- The pastor will participate in visitation to shut-ins and other church members.
- He will moderate monthly and specially called business meetings, and in his absence the chairman of the Deacons will moderate.
- The pastor will pursue personal education, plus spiritual and professional growth in order to encourage his well-being and spiritual growth, as well as that of the church.
- The pastor will uphold the charter and by-laws of Waterville Baptist Church and fulfill the duties outlined in those documents.
- The pastor will maintain confidentiality in all matters related to the ministry, counseling and business of the church and its members
- Must demonstrate a strong and growing relationship with Jesus Christ
- Must be a man called of God and dedicated to the ministry of the Lord Jesus Christ
- Must meet the Scripture qualifications for family and ministry, as set forth in 1 Timothy 3: 1-7
- Must be a man of spiritual discernment, insight, strength of character and humility
- Must be a seminary graduate, or in the process of and open to completing a seminary degree.
- Bachelor’s Degree and Master’s Degree in a ministry-related field preferred (Relevant experience will be considered in combination with or in lieu of education requirements.)
- Must have at least 5 years of pastoral experience in a growing church(s)
- Must be well versed in the work of our denomination and possess the qualities of leadership that will enable him to effectively oversee the ministries and business applications of the church
- Must have a proven track record of strong administrative skills, leadership, and effective communication, and have an understanding of finances and church management
- Must demonstrate strong communication skills in writing, speaking and preaching
- Must be a good steward of personal and church finances
- Must possess a strong desire to love and engage with members of this congregation and community (A demonstrated history of community involvement is preferred.)
- Must have a track record of evangelistic preaching, visitation and promotion of the church’s ministry, including participation in a regular visitation to shut-ins and other church members.
How to Apply
By April 2, 2023, qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, including a personal statement of faith and the reason for interest in serving at Waterville Baptist Church, along with a resume and at least three references to:
Waterville Baptist Church
Attn: Pastor Search Team
4555 Dalton Pike SE
Cleveland, TN 37323